Anyone who meets President Carlos soon learns that he is an avid BYU fan. In fact, back in the 80's he won a radio contest's search for BYU's #1 fan. To win it you had to write an essay and tell why you deserve to be named BYU's biggest fan. He won it! The prize? He got to bring a bus load of friends to the BYU Utah game and sit in the Utah section. Both President and I graduated from BYU and we loved every minute there. Both of our sons also graduated from BYU.
As grandkids came on the scene it was only natural that we would teach them the BYU fight song at a very early age and talk about "when you go to BYU." It seems that whenever our family gets together we discuss BYU sports. One night at dinner our oldest granddaughter, Mayah, said "I'm not going to go to BYU." (She was 5 at the time.) All the adults at the table exchanged horrified looks. I think President dropped his fork. I finally mustered up the courage to ask, "Mayah, honey, why don't you want to go to BYU." She replied, "I don't know how to play football!"
We were delighted today to open up our email and see that our grandkids from New York visited BYU recently. Here's Ty, age 2, all decked out in his BYU gear--now that's enough to bring a tear to his grandpa's eyes! As a postscript a day later. Our daughter-in-law writes that Ty slept in his shirt and hat and wouldn't let her wash the shirt. The next morning after his bath he wanted to put them back on.
LOVE IT!!!! That Ty looks like a real fan and will follow in the Carlos footsteps, for sure!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute BYU Fan!!! Thank you Sister Carlos for finding time to update the blog. I look forward to seeing the pictures and reading about the day-to-day happenings in the Cauayan Mission! I appreciate all that you and President Carlos do!! THANK YOU!
ReplyDelete