Thursday, July 7, 2011

Solano District Conference

President had meetings all day on Saturday. For the first time since we arrived a year ago, I had the day free and so I headed to Lamut to the Provencial Handicraft Center. It's a building full of carvings from the Ifugao people. This is a government agency that sells the handicrafts of the native people in the province. It was really fun. I bought a walking stick that is carved to look like a snake and a beautiful umbrella stand. (Total cost was $12.00 for both items.) I also bought some wonderful spoons made from coconut wood--they are exquisite and some trays that are carved to look like banana leafs. My last purchase there were two beautiful hand carved bowls one fits inside the other. They will hold a loaf of bread or some rolls. Together they cost $8.00.
At 4:00 I joined in the Adult Session. Elder Misalucha, an Area Seventy, was presiding and he asked for questions from the congregation and then he assigned some of them to us to answer. It was really fun and we felt the spirit was guiding us in the answers we gave. It was a strange feeling to have scriptures pop into our minds that went right with the topic assigned.
 On Sunday morning we started out by meeting with investigators and new members. It was a very sweet meeting. Then came the general session where we both spoke. The saints in Solano are wonderful and we loved being able to spend the weekend with them.





 The Relief Society sisters in Solano made beautiful orchid corsages for us. They also made gorgeous arrangements for the pulpit. In the US, where orchids are so costly, we rarely see them used as filler flowers in arrangements. These took my breath away. When the conference was over, they insisted that I take one of the arrangements. So we were able to enjoy the bouquets for about 5 days after the conference. What a treat!





The best part of going to a District Conference is seeing our missionaries. These are the missionaries currently serving in the Solano area (Nueva Vizcaya Zone)

No comments:

Post a Comment