Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Little R and R

We had a music workshop in Solano and Bambang Districts (that's in the Province of Nueva Vizcaya, our beautiful mountain region). So while Sister Shaner, Sister Laker and I spent a most joyous morning doing a music workshop there, our husbands were training the priesthood leaders. After that, we decided it was time for a little R and R. (rest and relaxation). We spent Saturday night in a wonderful filipino resort in Solano. The food at the restaurant is really great.
















The grounds of the resort are beautifully landscaped.

The next morning we got up early, checked out and headed up to Lagawe for church. I love Lagawe chapel, it is perched on the side of a mountain and the view from every angle is spectacular. Lagawe branch was wonderful. Sister Laker and I got to help in primary (yeah!) I got to do the music as their regular music leader was gone. Boy did those kids know how to sing their hearts out. Afterwards we were headed to relief society and I met a few of the young women in the hall. They told me their teacher was absent and so they were going to go home early. I coaxed them back into their room and we spent a most delightful hour visiting about their lives and talking about what the counsel our dear prophet has given to the young women recently. 

                                            Primary in Lagawe--such a fun place to be!




After church we drove up to Banue and checked into the Banue Hotel. That night we relaxed and played a game or two.



 This was the Laker's first trip to Banaue and so we made them get out and pose for their official visitor's photo.
 We constantly see rice that has gone thru some sort of machine that pulls the kernals off the stalk. But in Banaue they don't use any automation. So these are the stalks and all and they put them out in the sun to dry. They only produce enough rice for their own consumption. You have to search to find any to purchase. But we love their rice, it's more like a cross between a wild rice, a brown rice and a white rice. It's very, very flavorful and it's reddish in color.
                                   The drive between Lagawe and Banaue is quite spectacular.
 Sister Laker and I took a walk around the Banaue Hotel grounds and saw this unusual flower and fruit. No one could tell us the English name for it but they said when the fruit is ripe it's very delicious.



 Dining at the Banaue Hotel, actually the food is quite good. (Or I've been here long enough to think it's really good.)


The next morning we awoke to a beautiful clear and lovely day. We hired a jeepney and rode up to the scenic lookouts over the amazing Banaue Rice Terraces (considered one of the 8th Wonders of the World). 
                                          Too bad the Shaners are such quiet, introverts!
                                         This was the Laker's first jeepney ride.
 The gang is ready for our day trip. We could have sat on top but we were too chicken to do that. We hear the view is pretty great from up there.
 The view isn't bad from inside the jeepney either. This is my fourth trip to Banaue and it was one of the most spectacular views I've seen. The lime green tells us that these terraces are full of  newly planted rice.

 Here we were in this obscure corner of the world and who should we run into? Two of our finest--Elder Daluz and Elder Ballentos who were enjoying a visit to Banaue on their P-Day.
 Every way you looked you saw the most amazing sites!
 This is a typical home for the people in this part of the country. They are called buhay kubo and they are up on stilts.
President was hugging some strange idol, hope it's not a fertility God--I think we're past that part of our lives.

Later that day we headed home--driving through Santiago and stopping at one of our all-time favorite restaurants--McDonalds! Hard to believe we get excited when we see McDonalds. (At home we never, ever ate there!)

Great scenery, great fellowship, great fun! Now we're ready to lengthen our stride and make the most of the 10 glorious months ahead before we leave this special place.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I've really enjoyed reading your blog. I served in the Cauayan Mission from 2005 to 2007. For most of my mission I served with President Harris. Two transfers before I left President Villanueva arrived. I still think about it and miss it every day. My last area was as a Zone Leader in Nueva Vizcaya zone, I lived in Bayombong and got to travel all over that beautiful province. My favorite place for companionship exchanges was Lagawe. I love the Ifugao people and how industrious and hard-working they are. Thanks for keeping this blog going, it brings back so many memories of the country and people who changed my life forever!

    -Scott Hurst

    ReplyDelete