Friday, April 30, 2010

My Tagalog Lessons

I am in awe of our missionries who have conquered tagalog. Let me tell you it's really a very strange language. Today I wanted to say, I know that Joseph Smith restored the true church. This is how you say it in Tagalog...Alam ko na ipinanumbalik ni Joseph Smith ang totoong Simbahan. I was so proud when I figured out how to say it. And then I asked my tutor if he thought the members would be able to understand me. He paused and then said, "Probably not, because of your accent." He tried to encourage me saying that the more I listen to natives the better my accent will become. That was really encouraging!

Just ask your missionaries serving in the Philippines about ang, ng and sa words. You won't believe how complicated it is to comprehend it all. My goal is to be able to ask a few general greeting questions, pray and bear my testimony. I know I'll panic if a filipino starts answering my questions!


Anyway, I am so proud of any nonfilipino who can speak tagalog!
Sister Carlos

2 comments:

  1. Rude; the word 'ipinanumbalik' is antiquated and no ones uses that nowadays, it would be alot simpler to just say - 'ibinalik ni Joseph Smith sa atin ang tutuong simbahan ni kristo', much ease to say and understand especially hearing from you funny accent.. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Carlos: We got our Mother's day call from our son. He bore is testimony to us in Tagalog and it was amazing to hear. We only understood a few of the words (like Jesus, Joseph Smith...) but the Spirit carries the meaning! He is in his second area now and found out that he was speaking Tagalog with an ilocano accent (from his first area). Luckily his new comp. Elder Jaramillo is helping him to "purify" his Tagalog! He has a real testimony of the gift of tongues! I feel I need to tell you that we know you are called of God to preside over the Cauayan Mission. I just feel such a sweet spirit whenever I read you or Pres. Carlos' words. Bless you and Thank you. My son loves Pres. Villanueva and can't wait to serve with both of you.

    ReplyDelete