Monday, October 25, 2010

Only in the Philippines...

Every day I see something and say, "only in the Philippines!"




Only in the Philippines do people have beautiful little bamboo huts in their yards and use them as their dining rooms. They are called bahay kubo or nipa huts. They have built-in benches all the way around with a table in the center. We can so see us sitting in one of these at home sipping lemonade and playing games. They are beautifully made and cost around $300 US. I'm trying to figure out how to get one home! We were invited to Sister's Uy's birthday party and this one is in her yard.



Only in the Philippines do you see Vulcanizing Shops every few miles. Since the major mode of transportation is motorcycles with intertubes in the tires, these shops are very busy. The roads aren't very good and so popped tires are a daily occurence. Every little shop is advertised with a tire like this one.



Only in certain parts of the Philippines (Our northern most areas) do you see competition for trycies. These are horse drawn carts,called kalesas. All of the horses are miniature and many of the carts have wooden wheels. I have said that I want to ride in one and one of the missionaries told me that I probably wouldn't enjoy it because it's a really bumpy, hard ride. But they are so cute. Sometimes you'll see the horses with feathers on their foreheads or ribbons in their tails. You will see families all crammed into one of the carts along with all kinds of purchases such as food and bamboo polls.

No comments:

Post a Comment