Sunday, August 1, 2010

Only in the Philippines Part 2




This week I found a number of things that should be added to my list.
Only in the Philippines...
1. Does the chorister sing the first line of the song and then says, "Ready sing." Often the tune she is singing doesn't match the tune in the hymnbook! (A few branches have piano players but many sing acapella.)
2. Do churches have long umbrella stands in the foyers. (I thought they were shoe racks like I saw in Japan but found out they were for the umbrellas.) Many people walk to church and they use their umbrellas in the sun and in the rain. The women carry beautiful bright umbrellas.
3. Does a trycie become a traveling store. (We saw a bunch of trycies loaded down with thousands of baskets and ratan items traveling in a caravan. When they stopped I jumped out of the car and took a picture.)
4. Does McDonald's delivers. (In front of the McDonalds there is a row of motorcycles with a carry box in the rear.)
5. Do you get invited to a member's birthday party dinner and the member never eats. (They just hover over you to make sure you're enjoying the food. I guess they eat when everyone is gone.)
6. Does the congregation sing out with exuberance, off key many of the times. (I've never heard such singing!)
7. Do you get bananas or candies in place of small change at stores.
8.Do you see beautiful fields of green corn and rice set against purple mountains and bright blue sky.
9. Does a ward party that is scheduled for 5:00 actually start 6:00 or 6:30.
10. Does one zone get 58 baptisms in one day!

4 comments:

  1. My mother-in-law is originally from Manila and she does the EXACT same thing when we go over for Sunday dinner! I've been married to my husband for 2 years and she NEVER eats dinner with the rest of us! She always waits until everyone else is done! Now I know where she gets it from! Haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi President and Sister Carlos,

    I'm Elder Weaver's mom. So glad you have a blog. I do hope to see some information about Elder Weaver and his companion from time to time. I know he is far away, but speaks highly of you and is excited to serve with you in the Cauayan mission. We hope you are adjusting to your new surroundings. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the missionaries daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I contacted an old friend on Facebook, Margrit Harris. She and her husband are former mission presidents of your mission. She said she had quite a long conversation with you guys when after you received your mission call. Small world.
    We miss you guys. Thanks so much for you blog. It's fun to see what's going on.

    ReplyDelete