I'm still getting used to pesos and all the coins and paper bills that they use here in the Philippines. The other day Sister Breese and I needed to run up to a bakery, the butcher and then to a European Bakery. So we flagged down a trycie to take us. The normal fair would be 8 pesos per person. He was willing to stay with us and drive us to all three destinations. When we returned to the Mission Office I looked in my purse and was really happy to see two 25 pesos little gold pieces. I figured that was a really nice tip and so when I handed it to him he started shaking his head. I kept saying, "No, sir it's okay we want to give you a little tip! You deserve it." He reluctantly drove off.
Yesterday I found out that I gave him 2 25 centavos (1/2 of 1 peso) for all of that. So I totally ripped him off! I bet he is telling every trycie driver in Cauayan to avoid picking up those two dumb Americans!
I am so embarrassed!
Sister Carlos
HAHAHAHA!!! That would be me! You will undoubtedly see that driver again and can make amends...I think the money will be the hardest thing for me to learn if we go to a place with different currency..time will tell...love to you all..
ReplyDelete