Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Highs and Lows of Missionary Service





This week we experienced both joy and sadness. On Monday, I spent the day baking cinnamon rolls, brownies and cookies that we would need during our week's activities. The two sisters assigned near the mission home gave up part of their P-day to help me bake. We had a lot of fun together! On Tuesday we visited several district meetings. It was fun to see missionaries that we had met earlier and start building on our developing relationships.

Wednesday we said goodbye to 6 wonderful young missionaries (Elders Trinidad, Umpat, Ople, Bereau and Lalangan and Sister Betts) two senior couples whose time had come to return home. The young elders were from various parts of the Philippines and Sister Betts was from California. The Pratts head home next Wednesday and our office couple, The Starley's leave in a couple of weeks. The day began with the missionaries coming into our mission headquarters for an all-day career fair, which was overseen by Elder and Sister Pratt and taught by a local businessman, Brother Ed. I was able to sit in on various segments of the day and was so impressed with the program. Brother Ed is a wonderful young man who served a mission nine years ago and now is a local business owner. He closed his business for the day in order to teach this course. He is a dynamic speaker and such a fantastic teacher. The Pratts graciously treated these missionaries to a lunch at a local restaurant. Late that afternoon they gathered at the Mission Home for President Carlos' homemade lemon chicken alfredo, salad, brownies, cookies and ice cream. We enjoyed visiting during dinner. Then we had a testimony meeting and each of us shared the thoughts of our hearts. I felt like I had been in the presence of some of our Heavenly Father's choicest missionaries! They were so humble, yet powerful. At 8:00 pm we drove them to the bus station. We cried, hugged and said goodbye. I just can't imagine how I will feel when I've worked with the departing missionaries for several years. I still feel a pit in my stomach as I think about this very sad time.

The next morning we were at the bus stop at 5:30 am waiting for our new missionaries to come in. Elder Brown from American Samaoa, we had met at the Provo, Utah MTC. Elder Biating and Sister Baladjay and Sister Languitan were from other parts of the PHilippines. (We see such potential with these four new missionaries!) The bus was delayed and they finally arrived around 7:30 am. We feed them a big breakfast with President's famous breakfast rice and my homemade cinnamon rolls. Our Assistants conducted an orientation and then we met in the Chapel next door for a transfer meeting. Over 80 missionaries were affected by the transfers. The meeting started with us singing our Cauayan Mission Song, President Carlos spoke about the inspiration he received as he prayed and contemplated needed transfers. Then Sister Banks played a piano solo of the most gorgeous rendition of Praise to the Man. The spirit was so strong and I saw many of our missionaries moved to tears. Next the Assistants read the transfers, I spoke about Change and how it's hard but also good. Then President wrapped it up. Next came Zone Unification meeting where the zone leaders were able to visit with those from their zones and each group caught the bus to their various assigned areas. We got two office elders, Elder Goobe and Elder Mulliner who will be trained on the duties of the President's Secretary and the Misson Financial Clerk. They will then train the Breese's when they arrive in mid-August.

We also had two precious elders sent to the Missionary Recovery Center (MRC) in Manila. One was for a knee injury and the other for tests from rapidly losing weight. It's very tricky to get them on the bus and make sure that there's someone there to receive them at the other end.

On Saturday night we experienced a little miracle. All afternoon and evening we had no Internet connection or phone service. Our Assistants had driven an elder to Nueva Viscaya (our farthest southern point) to catch the bus to Manila to the MRC. We needed to let our contact in Manila know when to expect him. But without any means of communication we couldn't do that. We also needed to check on the Assistants to make sure they were okay as it was getting late and they hadn't returned home. Our new office elders were also worried and they suggested we say a prayer. We prayed that the phones and Internet would work again so that we could make sure that all was well. Within a minute or two the Internet started up, and the phones. We were able to connect with the Assistants, and contact Manila. I truly believe it was divine intervention as shortly afterwards we lost the Internet and our phone stopped working again.

Today we attended two branches. I loved how the one branch asked the newly assigned missionary to their branch to stand and introduce himself. I could tell that branch had the missionary spirit.

We now look forward to another wonderful week in the Philippines.
Sister Carlos

2 comments:

  1. Ok, what is the recipe for breakfast rice? Sounds like my kind of meal...we do love breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda and Rudy,

    I just read through all of your posts since first receiving your call to serve in the Philippines and I have been so moved by your words. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I've felt the Spirit and my testimony has been strengthened as I've read yours. You two are wonderful and you truly inspire me! Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete