Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Great Week





The time seems to fly by. We were able to meet the rest of our missionaries. We saw two zones on Tuesday (interviewing nearly 50 missionaries that day). On Wednesday we had our first Zone Leader's Council. All zone leaders came to the mission home. Each reported on their zone's monthly activities. WHen we saw those young leaders our hearts really swelled. What struck me most was the fact that they were so happy for the success of the missionaries in their zones. They were like proud parents reporting on all their missionaries good works. Elder Starley (one of our senior missionaries) made his famous Spaghetti Sauce and we served spaghetti, green salad and garlic bread. (I thought I was buying French bread but when I cut into it there were raisins. We decided to serve it anyway and every piece was consumed, so I guess it was okay. For dessert I made chocolate chip cookies and we served ice cream. Several elders told me they hadn't had any salad since they left home. I've never seen so many young men excited about salads!
On THursday we drove to our final zone in Tuguegarao, the largest city in our mission. I have never seen so many tricycles fitting into a small area.
Saturday was a very busy day. I attended a District Primary Anniversary Celebration. The children from each branch performed a folk dance. The children were in costume and ranged from age 2 to 12. It was absolutely precious. The children were very excited and it was a little loud. The Primary President said, "Attention Children of God, you must behave!" They asked me to share a few words with the children.
At noon we served lunch to the Stake Presidents and their wives. President made his famous saucy pork chops. Everyone loved them. I found a very quaint European Bakery a few blocks away and ordered cream puffs for dessert.
Saturday evening we attended a branch family home evening where they had a nice lesson and then they invited me to come up and share a game with everyone. (There were approx. 60 people there.) I quickly thought of Fruit Basket Upset and it was fun to watch people of all ages run across the floor to steal someone else's seat. There was lots of laughter and I think everyone had fun. Then they served refreshments which were a little box for everyone full of pancit (noodles) and a hot drink, which tasted like thick chicken and rice soup. Actually it was very tasty.
Today we visted 2 branches and spoke at both of them. Afterwards we went to see one of our missionaries who dislocated his knee playing basketball. He is in great pain. I brought him chocolates and we were able to call our physician from Manila to offer some advice for him.
Sister Carlos

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog every week! I am assuming the chocolate chips came in handy. Hopefully they were not to hard to carry all the way. It sounds like you are learning so much and having fun.

    We are doing good here. Just came back from 2 weeks in California with family. We rented a house in the foothills so we could control the envirenment. It was really good and I think the felt the spirt, but didn't know it.

    I was just called to the RS board so I am waiting to hear what I will be doing. Kirk is enjoying High Priests and keeping busy with his calling.

    Miss you guys and look forwared to next weeks post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda,
    I'm so glad you have a mission blog so we can keep up with your experiences! We're so happy for you and Rudy and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers!
    Nancy and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a mom of one of your missionaries, thank you for this blog.

    ReplyDelete